Available Summer Staff Positions
We are now accepting applications for summer staff 2022
Available Positions for Overnight Camp:
- Counselors – Summer staff assigned to lead a group of campers through the week of camp. They’ll be in a cabin with up to 10 campers and another counselor, responsible for investing in the campers, sharing your life with them, and providing them with an incredible camp experience. Must be 18 and have completed a year of college. All positions are paid.
- Activities Staff – These staff members will be responsible for running specific activities. We look for leaders that can help facilitate the challenge courses, rock climbing, rappelling, and oversee water activities. These leaders will also assist with the upkeep of facilities and need very good self-leadership skills. Must be 18 and have completed a year of college. All positions are paid.
- Photographer/Videographer – These staff members document the week of camp with photos and video that we share with parents and that campers will get to enjoy after camp is over. We typically hire at least 3-4 people for this team. The photographers will post photos each day for parents to view and put together slideshows for the campers. The videographers will shoot and put together a video to be shown at the end of each week.
- Marketing/Development Videographer – This position will work with our marketing team on creating and producing a wide variety of content that will be utilized throughout the entire year.
- Utility Player – This position is one of utmost importance. Our utility players have different roles throughout the day. Essentially, they are helping run elements and facilitating activities with cabins, in the kitchen, doing maintenance, lifeguarding, and filling in as needed. They will be trained in a variety of aspects of camp.
- Boat Driver – Yes, this is actually a job. We have a new partnership with Nautique & Watersports Central that will allow us to have multiple boats on the water at a time this summer! Our boat drivers will be pulling kids for tubing, wake boarding, wake surfing, and skiing. We’re looking for highly responsible, experienced, boat drivers that love kids and would like nothing more than to spend the summer on a lake investing them. This is not an easy job; it’s tiring and hot, but there are few places on the planet where you’ll hear more screams of joy and laughter than on the boat with a cabin of kids.
- Lifeguards – Our lifeguards serve campers and staff by making sure they stay safe at the waterfront. They are also responsible for maintaining a clean waterfront area and serve by meeting other camp needs.
- Worship Leader/Band – We do not simply look for people with musical talent that can tolerate kids and the bear the outdoors, we look for people who genuinely love Jesus and kids and happen to have musical talent. Historically, our worship leaders have always been counselors or utility staff with a desire to lead others in worship. If this sounds good to you, please let us know!
- Nurse – As the camp nurse, you will serve by taking care of the campers’ and staffs’ physical needs. You must be a registered nurse who loves Jesus and kids. Part of your duties will be to manage and administer medication, administer basic first aid, contact parents when a child is injured or ill, and report all injuries and illness
Available Positions for Day Camp:
- Counselors – Counselors lead a group of campers through a week of camp! They are in a group with up to 10 campers and another counselor, and are responsible for investing in campers, sharing their life with them, and providing them with an incredible camp experience. Counselors can be high school through college-age.
- Jr. Counselors – Junior counselors volunteer at camp for 2-3 weeks out of the summer. They should be at least rising 9th grade and must also be a camper at Overnight Camp.
- Adventure Staff – Adventure staff members will be responsible for setting up and overseeing high ropes activities as well as maintenance duties and general camp operations. If needed, Adventure Staff may be called upon to be counselors for a week.
- Photographer/Videographer/Technical – These staff members document the week of camp with photos from each day and a video recap at the end of the week. Campers love to have GREAT pictures of themselves to show their parents at the end of the week!
- Worship Leader/Band – We are also always looking for musically gifted staff to participate in the Worship Team in addition to their other roles and responsibilities, please see note at the bottom about the instrument stipend. We love worshipping in an outdoor setting. Historically, our worship leaders have always been counselors with a desire to lead others in worship. If this sounds good to you, please let us know!
Leader in Training at Overnight for 2022:
This is now the fourth year that we are having a program for Jr. Staff at Overnight Camp in Ellijay. We are looking to hire 6 girls and 6 guys who will serve in many different roles at camp under a male and female lead. They will also be receiving a significant amount of leadership development and discipleship training. All LITs will join the other summer staff members for the full staff training experience and will then serve for 1 of 2 sessions at camp (weeks 1-3 or weeks 6-8). During week 5 of camp, all of the LITs from both sessions will get to participate in a Highland Beyond week of summer camp (backpacking, rafting, hiking, climbing). Our goal with the LIT program is to continue to foster the growth of our oldest campers while preparing them for life after high school and hopefully as summer staff the next year. To qualify to be an LIT, applicants must be previous campers and can only serve during the summer between their senior year of High School and their Freshman year of college. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
You need to complete a few things to finish the application process
- The online application. Probably takes about an hour to complete.
- An interview. We prefer this to be in person but can do it over the phone or Skype without a problem!
- The link to the summer staff application is below. You do not have to complete the application all in one sitting, as the system allows you to save your progress along the way.
Notes for Returning Staff Members
We are so excited that you’re considering working with us again! Since you have worked with us on summer staff before, we’re going to ask you to fill out the application a bit differently. You still need to fill out the application on the website to make sure we have all your current info, but answer these questions in place of the 3 short answer questions listed in the application:
- What did God teach you during your previous time(s) at camp?
- How have you applied what you learned to your everyday life?
- Why do you want to come back?
No video is needed, but an interview is still part of the process! Once you submit the application, we will be in contact to schedule an interview. We will be in touch soon!
Coming to one of our Staff Retreats?
What staff Say!
2018 Overnight Counselor
I’ll say it, Camp Highland is INCREDIBLE!!! Camp on its own is already awesome, but the staff takes it to the next level. When everyone is focused on the same mission of loving our campers well and sharing the Gospel with them, it makes the experience so much more authentic and meaningful! Whether it’s during blob wars, climbing the tower, or at worship, He is present in every single moment.
2018 Overnight Counselor
Camp, for me, is a representation of a near perfect community of like-minded Jesus-loving people! It was so easy to build relationships because the number one thing on everyone’s minds is serving the Lord. When you get a group that all has the same goal in mind and are humble in their approach, community is founded just like that! Top that off with the fact that nearly everyone is just straight up goofy, everything we do is so fun!
2018 Overnight Counselor
I’m thankful for the Lord bringing me to camp. For the growth. For the kids and their stories. For the salvation of my sister. For the community which was there to glorify him. Most of all I’m thankful that I was allowed to come to camp and put myself below others so that I could play a part in someone’s life.
2018 Overnight Day Trip Lead
After weeks spent at this place, it is so much easier to leave your old self behind and step into the life that Christ has called us to. Highland has a special place in my heart because of the way the staff so intentionally aligns their hearts with the heart of Jesus!!