The cooler weather is here!
The cooler weather is finally upon us and the outdoors is beckoning! Many parents want to experience the benefits of getting outside with their family but need some ideas to get started. We’ve compiled just a few of our favorites that are sure to get the whole family outside and spending time together!
- Explore a new hiking trail – There’s no way better to enjoy the changing fall weather than to get out on a trail on foot. Georgia is FULL of hiking options ranging from beginner to the extreme and everything in-between. Here are just a few of our staff favorites:
- Give mountain biking a try – This one is not just for the pros, and you don’t have to even own a bike to enjoy it. With many options to rent a bike, your whole family can enjoy the ride! Mountain biking has grown in popularity in the recent years, and especially in north Georgia. There are numerous places to hop on the saddle and give it a try. Here are some very popular spots around North Georgia:
- Have a pumpkin carving contest – This is a great opportunity to make some fun memories with your neighbors, friends, or family. Make a day of it by visiting a local pumpkin patch together to find the best pumpkins (Burt’s Pumpkin Farm and Yahoo Farm are some of our local favorites). Let your kids choose their favorite pumpkin and then bring it back to carve and decorate. See who can be the most creative in their designs! If you need a little help with creative ideas, check these out!
- Have a backyard campfire! With backyard fire pits growing in popularity, you may already have one or be able to borrow from a friend. Bring a little summer camp to your fall by roasting some marshmallows and enjoying s’mores together as a family. Take it up a notch and serve hot chocolate and even some twinkle lights to heighten the mood.
- Spend a weekend at Camp Highland! We believe that one of the best ways to ensure quality time with your kids outside is to intentionally block off time on your calendar in advance. Registration for our spring retreats is now open and we encourage you to sign up early! You’ll get to do some hiking (of course!), be challenged on our ropes courses, spend the night in a log cabin, enjoy some incredible food, participate in our Christ-centered messages and experience a tech-free environment that is focused on being with your family.