What do Summer Camp and Thanksgiving have in common? Traditions! We have many meaningful, time-honored traditions at Camp Highland. Here are a few that you may want to incorporate into your Thanksgiving holiday.
- At Camp Highland, campers don’t have access to their phones during the week. They love getting to enjoy the outdoors and being with their friends without the distraction of devices. Suggest a “no tech” day this Thanksgiving to focus on being together. Put away devices, and enjoy one another’s company. Whoever checks their phone first does the dishes!
- Instead of throwing the pigskin while waiting for the turkey to finish cooking, suggest a classic Camp Highland game – Ultimate Frisbee! If you’re a little dusty on the rules, or just have no idea how to play, check this out: Ultimate in 10 Simple Rules
- Spending several days with your extended family can be fun, but also challenging at times. There’s nothing that refreshes hearts and minds like TAG time (Time Alone with God), something we incorporate daily at Camp Highland. This is a great opportunity to take a few minutes away from the group to quiet your heart and thank our God for the ways He has provided during the past year, as well as pray over your time together with family.
- The beautiful Fall weather is a great excuse to get the whole family out of the house and into the outdoors! Try a hike that the whole family can participate in. In last month’s newsletter we shared a list of some of our staff’s favorite hiking spots.
- Are your kids or guests not fans of the traditional pumpkin pie? Try a dessert that has always been a Camp Highland favorite with campers and staff alike. Dirt Cake! Its easy to make, so we suggest enlisting the help of your camper for some quality time together!
Dirt Cake Ingredients
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 (3.5 oz) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 (8 oz) containers of Cool Whip
- 1 package of Oreos
- 3.5 cups milk
- Finely chop Oreos in food processor
- Mix milk, instant pudding mix and Cool Whip
- Combine cream cheese with pudding mixture
- Layer with crushed Oreo cookies in serving bowl
- Chill until ready to serve